Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 1: Departure and Arrival

 With two large suitcases, a travel backpack, and an equestrian-themed carpet-bag, I left for the Atlanta airport. It should be noted that I do not excel at packing lightly, so packing for almost an entire year was a challenge in itself. A short flight up the East Coast brought me to Boston - my first time in New England. One of my household sisters picked me up from the airport and drove me out to Merrimack, New Hampshire. As we had some extra time, we stopped to eat lunch at chat before arriving at Thomas More College. When I did arrive, I was greeted warmly by three of my four classmates - and informed that, according to the schedule, our first class was to start in ten minutes! Without further ado, I dropped off my bags in my room, grabbed a notebook, and made my way to the academic building.


Our first class was led by Miss Gwen Adams, the former Dean of Women at TMC. We began by discussing what it is that makes a place beautiful, such as art, order, people, and memory. We then took turns reading poems about England and Oxford, discovering the fondness of the English people for their England. We can learn from the English poets the importance of treasuring beautiful things and seeing the beauty in mundane things and, to reference Gerard Manley Hopkins, the "dappled things." (For a musical adaptation of Hopkins' "Pied Beauty," listen to this version by Alanna-Marie, a wonderfully talented household sister.) Miss Adams concluded the class by reading aloud J.R.R. Tolkien's short story, "Leaf by Niggle," complete with different voices for each character. It is an enjoyable and thought-provoking story; I definitely recommend it. [You can find it in Tree and Leaf, a collection of Tolkien's writings, or use the PDF version here.]

Now, TMC is a small Catholic college with about 90 students; all the students and professors know each other - it is a very familial environment. For meals, everyone sits together at round tables and engages in lively conversation, from the latest news on campus to current reading assignments. Often, students veer off into imaginative and intellectual tangents; for example, telling original cautionary tales and transforming the Greek alphabet into sign language. I am very thankful to the students, faculty, and staff for being so welcoming and accepting towards me; I am fitting right in!

After dinner, I took a twilight walk around campus and snapped a few photos:
Old red barn housing the Student Lounge, Chapel, and Cafeteria

The old, gnarled tree - 


[not to be confused with a certain Whomping Willow]

My favorite bench is the one on the right.

B&W shot of Chapel side entrance and gnarled tree
Royally purple.

Before retiring to my room for the night, I stopped in the Chapel to pray. The Chapel is small and simple, with the tabernacle in the center surrounded by original artwork by David Clayton, the Artist-in-Residence.
View facing altar

Close-up of Christ Crucified and St. Thomas More

Close-up of St. Michael the Archangel





















Statue of Our Lady...

...with the Auspice Maria on the stand. Totus Tuus Maria!




















More anon.
In Christ through Mary,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment